Monday, November 22, 2010

College Mentoring Project - Take 2

I conveniently had my second experience tutoring for the College Mentoring Project one day after conducting my classmate consultation session. It allowed me to incorporate some of the ideas I used to create my plan for the classmate consultation session into my time with my high school student, who I'll call Lisa.

Last time we met, she simply had an outline of what she desired to talk about in one of her college essays. This time, 2 months later, she gave me a partially finished product that we worked through and managed to complete. The most fulfilling thing for me was giving her tips and allowing her to make her own decisions on the changes she would make to her writing--and watching her face light up when she thought of a better idea (whether a better word or more effective phrase).

I also noticed my own self-progression as a writing consultant as well. I've changed from a proofreader into one who helps generate ideas and facilitate good writing. That, I would say, is definitely invaluable.

No comments:

Post a Comment