Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Semester Without Writing?...But What Have I learned?

It's rather interesting how this semester my academic life has been more bogged down with logic, calculations and chemical reactions than writing. Last semester, all but one of my classes were heavily focused on the writing process and its importance to academia. This semester, with a course load featuring mathematical, chemical and biological sciences, I have had less writing assignments, and the ones I do get usually are science related and formatted completely to explain test results and reactions.

Thus, I've felt really detached from the traditional writing process that I had been previously used to. However, this semester, despite the fact that I am writing a lot less than in previous semesters, I find that I am learning more about writing simply through the ENGL 383 class and shadowing in the writing center.

For example, I have experienced consultation sessions where the writer came in with a nearly complete piece of writing, and simply required a review of their final draft. In contrast, I've also seen consultation sessions where the writer simply came in with the essay prompt, the text needed for the class, and one single piece of paper with brainstormed ideas. There are so many levels and stages of the writing process, and at each stage, peer review is very beneficial.                      

I've learned just how important it is to let the writer take charge, and the importance of simply being the extra voice needed to go towards a finished piece of writing. So, while I may not have written much this semester, I have contributed to many pieces of writing, and I find that just as fulfilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment