Monday, October 4, 2010

Writing about...Writing?

I'm now faced with an entirely new task: writing about my own writing.

For our English 383 class, I am required to write 2 short essays based on previous blog posts that I have made in the past 6 weeks. When Professor Dolson first introduced this assignment to us, I remember thinking: "How do I write about my own writing?" She quoted something to us (and I, apologetically do not remember the exact wording or the author of the quote) that basically said that "learning is not through experience, but through reflection on that experience."

Therefore, I've determined that if I can dig deep down into my old blog posts, I can probably trace some sort of internal development through which I transformed from a regular student to one who is halfway through the journey to becoming a writing consultant. Hopefully, I will be able to note how my ideas about writing and the writing process changed from the beginning of the semester to the half-term mark.

And now, I begin to conquer what I previously deemed an unconquerable task...

5 comments:

  1. I agree...the thought of writing about my own writing and quoting myself seems a little bizarre. I haven't yet begun the process, but just thinking about it makes me wonder how exactly I can go about doing it. Reading your blog provides some envouraging ideas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree too. I thought the blogging part was the reflecting. So I'm not exactly sure how to reflect on that. I'm struggling with it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've written the essays, and I actually found it to be a pretty interesting experience. I've actually written about my writing in terms of my strengths and weaknesses, but even with the short length of the essays I felt that it still had to be detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We do not learn from our experiences; we learn by reflecting on our experiences. " - John Dewey
    It will take me a little longer to find which of his writings that comes from, but if you are interested, I will try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry I am just seeing your comment, Professor Dolson. I would really appreciate it if you can let me know!

    ReplyDelete